The Virginia Cavaliers (11-3, 7-1 ACC) visit the NC State Wolfpack (7-6, 3-5) Wednesday for a 9 p.m. ET conference battle. Below, we analyze the Virginia-NC State college basketball odds and lines, with picks and predictions.
The Cavaliers are No. 15 in the Ferris Mowers Coaches Poll powered by USA TODAY Sports.
Virginia at NC State: Odds, spread and lines
- Money line: Virginia -300 (bet $300 to win $100) | NC State +240 (bet $100 to win $240)
- Against the spread/ATS: Virginia -6.5 (-110) | NC State +6.5 (-110)
- Over/Under: 127.5 (O: -115 | U: -105)
Virginia at NC State: Three things to know
- Virginia suffered its first ACC loss with a 65-51 loss at Virginia Tech Saturday. The defeat snapped a 7-game win streak for the Cavaliers, who were 5-point favorites. Virginia led 39-29 with 15:28 to go before Va. Tech went on a 34-8 run. Senior F Sam Hauser leads the Cavs in scoring with 14.6 points per game and 7.2 rebounds per game.
- NC State dropped a close 76-73 decision at Syracuse Sunday – covering as a 6.5-point underdog – despite missing two of its top-three scorers in senior G Devon Daniels and senior F DJ Funderburk. Daniels (team-high 16.5 PPG) suffered a season-ending ACL tear in the previous game, a 72-67 home win vs. Wake Forest, while Funderburk (11.9 PPG) was disciplined because of “university policies.” With Daniels out, the Wolfpack will need junior F Jericole Hellems (12.7 PPG) to step up, which he did vs. Syracuse in scoring a career-high 24 points with 9 rebounds. Funderburk’s status is up in the air.
- NC State took the lone meeting between the two rivals last season with a 53-51 victory as a 5.5-point underdog. It snapped an eight-game skid for the Wolfpack in the series and was their first win in Charlottesville, Va., since March 2, 2005.
Special College Basketball Betting Promotion!
Bet $1 on any college basketball team money line, WIN an additional $100 (in free bets) if ANY team hits a 3-pointer today. Promotion available in CO, IN, MI, NJ, TN, VA and WV. IA and PA residents, don’t miss BetMGM‘s risk-free, first-bet offer!
Place your legal, online sports bets at BetMGM! Terms and conditions apply. Bet now!
Virginia at NC State: Odds, lines, predictions and picks
Virginia 66, NC State 54
Money line (ML)
PASS. Virginia (-300) will prevail, but it’s not wise to bet three times your potential return.
Against the spread (ATS)
VIRGINIA -6.5 (-110) is the STRONGEST PLAY – 1½ times your usual wager. The Cavaliers will be zoned in and focused, looking to bounce back from their double-digit loss to the in-state rival Hokies.
The Wolfpack played better than expected in Game 1 without Daniels. This often happens in such a “first game” as teammates rise to the occasion in facing such a challenge. Reality typically sets in for Game 2.
Virginia is just a better well-rounded and more-talented team, and NC State will suffer without Daniels on the court.
ATS: Virginia 8-6 | NC State 5-7-1
Back the UNDER 127.5 (-105). I love riding trends and the last 9 matchups in this series have finished Under the projected point total.
Plus, Virginia’s defense allows 59.9 PPG to rank eighth in the country. The Cavs will take care of business in a low-scoring affair.
O/U records: Virginia 8-6 | NC State 8-5
|Johnny’s 2020-21 CBK record / Strongest plays||49-40-1 / 21-23|
|CBK record since Jan. 1 / Strongest plays||34-23-1 / 16-13|
|2021 overall record (all sports) / Strongest plays||47-29-1 / 24-15|
|2020 overall record (all sports) / Strongest plays||178-147-4 / 87-61-1|
Additional college sports coverage from USA TODAY Sports Media Group:
Gannett may earn revenue from audience referrals to betting services. Newsrooms are independent of this relationship and there is no influence on news coverage.